Re: pulseaudio, howto make it work?

On Saturday 23 August 2008, Craig White wrote:
>On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 22:06 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> >>
>> >:)  np.  I just wanted to avoid the generalization that I perceived that
>> >: "pulseaudio is broken universally".  It "just works" for a vast
>> >: majority of users.
>> >
>> >Your setup seems to be quite a special case of multi-card setup with
>> > convoluted alsa configuration.  You may need to try contacting the
>> > pulseaudio devs for advice and/or assistance.  I'd highly recommend
>> > posting to:
>> > hadn't already done so.
>> >
>> >-- Rex
>>
>> And is yet another list I have to subscribe to before I can post.  I 99%
>> solved the problem with the removal of it.
>>
>> To add insult to injury, there isn't even a search function to check the
>> archives of the list!  Good grief.
>>
>> I saved the bookmark, but I'm not sure why.
>
>----
>except that there was no injury...just your own failure to make it work
>for you.
>
>I would suggest that you are rather heavy handed on usage/setup of your
>system which as you know is one of the luxuries of Linux in that you can
>do things your way and in so many different ways.
>
>The simple fact is that pulseaudio like LVM and other things are not for
>everyone but you can function without it.
>
>I do detect a pattern though...it's the same one that had you giving up
>on NFS and using samba for filesharing because you couldn't make NFS
>work.

And now, even samba seems to have failed, with ubuntu apparently using an
incompatible version.  I was backing up the kubuntu's machines /home
directory with amanda, but I never got around to rebuilding the amanda client
after finding the hard way that that particular machine apparently cannot
tolerate 2 pata hard drives, it seemed to like to trash the filesystems on
both in a week, but with just one drive it runs for years.

I did have nfs running between them, for about a week, but local weather
created a power failure that outlasted both UPS's, and that hasn't worked
since the reboots.  And typical of nfs when it fails, no error msg, it just
doesn't mount.

I also just tried to make rsync connect, and the lack of a root account on the
kubuntu machine causes a password fail. su'ing to the user who would do that
and I get a scrambled, invalid path returned as incapable of being accessed.
That I can probably figure out given time, I did do that for the backup for a
couple of years.  Other than losing some gcode I've written, and the configs
for those drives, that machine is re-installable from scratch to a working
milling machine in about an hour.

>I would like to state for the record that like Rex, I have many, many
>systems running with pulseaudio and no problems.
>
>Craig

And how many of those involve using the motherboard, a generally simple audio
system for something like skype, and a real audio card (if indeed one can
call an Audigy2 Value (SBO400, driven by emu10k1) a real audio card, but at
least it is not a winmodem) for all other system sound duties, each to be
totally isolated from the other?

If you do have such a setup, please share how you did it.  Show *me* the .conf
files that achieve that.  Examples are worth 10k words (inflation) you know.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)