Re: 13. Re: FC9 NetworkManager & WPA (Tim)

On Sat, 2008-08-23 at 13:07 +0200, Leon Vergottini wrote:
> I had the same problem the other day.  After choosing it manually from
> lists of available authentication methods it worked - as the other guy
> says, make sure the router is configured with WPA.  I have noticed that
> I had to try several times before it connected.  So if it does not
> connect the first time, try again.  It will authenticate eventually and
> once it gets that done it will be fine.

I have noticed that NetworkManager takes its own sweet time to find this
router, yet ones (much further away) from the neighbours pop up into the
list quite quickly.

> Yip, Dlink router is a real bastard. I have set up for my parents home
> and it works fine.

What swayed me over this one compared to the Netgear was its three-year
warranty versus the Netgear's one year.  I've got more than a bit sick
of unreliable gear.

Now, having played with it and someone else's Netgear, one thing that I
*REALLY* do not like about this Dlink DIR-300 is you cannot disable
re-configuration via the wireless link.  On other routers, I've been
able to set it so that you had to plug a cable in to be able to
configure it.

Picture this scenario:  You plug in your new wireless router, it has no
security settings.  You configure it using the HTTP webserver, and your
passwords (any you set into it) are part of the HTML source code,
viewable by anyone else at the same time.  Your browser may display them
as ***** in the webform, but it's only the browser display that's
obscuring them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r