Re: Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Ed Greshko wrote:
Per Anton Rønning wrote:

2) http://www.forex.com
Both these are made for JRE 1.4... are there major revisions in 1.5 that might
cause problems?

This works fine on FF 3.0.1 and Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_07-b06 on RHELv5. It does not work on FF 3.0.1 with:

GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2

    File name: gcjwebplugin.so
    The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.
This is installed  -- but it does not work in your environment?
Maybe that is the problem then,...
and RHEL - Red Hat Enterprise?? What plugin does it use to execute applets?

gcjwebplugin.so does not work as hoped. This is the open source environment.

Is there something else besides gcjwebplugin.so that might help execute java applets?

I think what needs to be understood is that, at least for me, the Sun supplied java pieces work just fine with the URLs that you have listed.
Ok, that may be it. I'd better clean the PC of everything Java runtime-related, and reinstall
the programs from Sun.
Fedora 9 had Java installed ($java did execute before I started downloading anything)
I guess this is Java Development  then - since JRE was missing.
Am I then safe to assume that removal of everything under /usr/java/jre1.n... (I have both n=5 and n=6) will be enough? The libjavaplugin_oji.so is set to point to jre1.5... and I cannot remember where I got that from.
So, my procedure would be:
Delete everything below /usr/java - download jre.1.5-- from Sun and install it.
(I did also use www.java.com before)
I did not use .rpm downloads, some advice I picked up in some article I read. I have observed that the install procedure (starting the self extracting .bin file) is creating some libraries, do I have to remove these as well, or will they be overwritten? I cannot remember where they were located, perhaps yum can list then .. (that I cannot remember either, I am going to buy more memory! :-) )

I would surely buy more memory.  :-)

I would also recommend using the rpms in the future. Makes installing/uninstalling/updating much easier.

FWIW, you can also confirm what lib FF is referencing by doing an:

lsof -p XXXX where XXXX is the PID of FF and then grepping the output for "plugin".

BTW: In what environment exactly did you manage to bring up the login screen?

My environment is Red Hat Enterprise Linux V 4.7 with FF 3.0.1 and Sun's latest java and java plugin.

You use jre1.5--- ?

No, I've installed Sun's jdk-1.6.0_07-fcs.
I downloaded

     JDK 6 Update 7

/The Java SE Development Kit (JDK) includes the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and command-line development tools that are useful for developing applets and applications.

/from the SUN site.

I went through the motions, executing the ....*.rpm.bin inder /usr/java,
created symlinks (libjavaplugin_oji.so) both in ---/.mozilla/plugins and (to be sure) /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Still no effect. And the funny thing is:
about:plugins now report this:

   Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_06-b02

   File name: libjavaplugin_oji.so
   Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_06

I was expecting _07, not _07 if the last 2 digits identify the update number.

I also have:

   GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) 1.2

   File name: gcjwebplugin.so
   The GCJ Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea) executes Java applets.

Deepak Bhole wrote:

openjdk in Fedora 9 currently uses the GCJ web plugin, which lacks
LiveConnect support. So sites that make use of that will not work. We
are working on that support, and you can always check out iced tea and
try out the new experimental plugin if you like to live on the edge :)

I do not mind living on the edge as long as I manage to bring up the application in question.Could it be that openjdk runs the whole show so that it does not matter what softlinks I enter? I.e. they don't take effect because openjdk tries to do the job and fails - and that's it? Where do I find such experimental plugins? Is it just to replace the old one by a new one
wherever it is installed?

brgds
PAR