multibooting ppc with Mac OS 9 & X on an ancient iBook

I recently tried installing Fedora 9 on an iBook that I need to boot both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X on. I also have some other partitioning constraints, so I ended up with 6 partitions before I started the Fedora 9 install.

Fedora 9 happily created lots more partitions, but then Mac OS 9 (and X, IIRC) refused to boot. Couldn't recognize the format of the disk. (Might have helped if I had got a 120 G HD instead of a 160 G HD?)

Also, on a separate iteration, when I tried to force the yaboot partition to 1MB, that also apparently made the partition map unacceptable to Mac OS 9.

I had to wipe the disks with the Mac OS 9 formatter and start again. (Lost a day or so of my time, but no data.) Since I thought I had time, I tried an install of just Fedora, but the current partitioning software wouldn't create the partition for yaboot any smaller than 16MB, IIRC, and then it wouldn't install yaboot in anything bigger than 1MB.

I am currently successfully multi-booting Mac OS 9 & X (Jaguar) and openBSD, but openBSD is not using yaboot. I give the four-finger salute on startup and type "boot hd:,ofwboot /bsd" at the open firmware prompt. That doesn't really bother me, even though I have to remember that the keyboard map is US and doesn't match the Japanese keyboard. :-/

openBSD seems to take a little more nursing than I currently have time for, and I am primarily interested in getting the Gimp and openoffice.org running. Well, probably some of the edutainment stuff, as well.

In about two weeks, one of the partitions will be freed, so I should have three partitions to give Fedora 9, and I am thinking of trying again. But I won't have the day or so necessary to re-build the Mac OS 9/X sides of things if the Fedora partitioning software makes the map unreadable to Mac OS 9 again. So, I am wondering a couple of things:

One, Is anyone is currently successfully multi-booting Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, and Fedora 9 on any system, especially one with a boot HD larger than 120G?

Two, would it be possible to boot with openBSD's approach, invoking an openfirmware script on the Mac OS 9 boot disk? (I haven't been able, yet, to untangle the web of what happened when yaboot became usable.)

Joel Rees