Re: Hp P1005

Thank for the advise.
This it what I did.
but after making make install. the hplip-1.7.4 (rpm) is this here
and I got the errors that I previously mention.
If I remove the rpm hplip.1.7.4 package, and make an install
of hplip.2.8.7, I lost also the hp-setup, etc... commands even after
I reinstall, so I have to reinstall the rpm hplip.1.7.4 !

I do not understand why I cannot get the hp-   etc... commands
from hplip-2.8.7.tgz !

If you installed the new version from source, you may want to check were
it gets installed. Probably in /usr/local, which is a good location for
software that doesn't come from an rpm. But by default, it is not in
your path. Also, many administrative utilities usually end up in one of
the sbin directories (eg /usr/local/sbin), and those are by default only
in root's path (and fedora packages often set up consolehelper for users
to prompt them for the root password before running such applications.

So take a look in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin and if the tool is
there, you may try running it from there.

I made an updatedb and locate hp-setup after a make and make install,
but only the one installed by hplip-1.7.4.rpm is here !
Does it recognize that there is a rpm package and doed not reinstall
a hp-setup ?

I'd recommend you do the following,

[1] uninstall hplip rpm (rpm -e hplip)
[2] Untar source (tar -xvzf  hplip-2.8.7.tgz)
[3] Read the README or INSTALL
[4] You may have to run ./configure (not sure check the docs mentioned in
#3)
[5] make ; make install
[6] #5 will probably install in /usr/local

This is a generic install for source package.  Installation may be
different for hplip.

I alrady did, but I am going to do it again!

I never had to install it and so im not too sure.

Instead of installing from source, you can try this rpm for fedora 9 from
here,
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/3/srodzaj/1/search/config(hplip)

There is hplip 2.8.5 rpms for both i386 and x86_64 architectures.

Yes, I also try to compile the fc9 version, it does work, but I cannot
install it because a dependence problem which would have requires
to go to far in recompiling etc... (including SElinux).

If there are dependencies, try

yum localinstall <hplip rpm filename>

Yum will automatically download dependencies.

I got an error message during the compilation:
 In function `main':
/usr/src/non_rpm/hplip/hplip-2.8.7/prnt/hpijs/hpijs.cpp:506: undefined reference to `hpijsFaxServer(int, char**)'
undefined reference to `hpijsFaxServer(int, char**)'

--
---