Re: Yahoo! VMware Server Finally Installed!

Gene Poole wrote:

All,

I finally got my VMware Server 1.0.6 installed on Fedora 8!

Here's what I did:

   1. I followed the instructions I found on
      http://fedorasolved.org/server-solutions/vmserver-install  -
      exactly including the one-liner for Fedora 9.  I rebooted the
      machine and then removed the kernel-devel that didn't match the
      uname -r listed in step 8.

Probably because I think the last few (6?) Fedora 8 kernels are now 2.6.25 kernels, when the previous ones were 2.6.24 kernels. So, now F8 and F9 need the same changes? Perhaps the FedoraSolved page needs updating?

   2. When it failed at step 32 (as it had in the past), I then
      performed the process listed in 'Doing the work' steps 1 and 1
      (not a mistake, there is no step 2) and applied the patch for the
      vmnet-only.
3. I then executed the vmware-config.pl found in /usr/bin

All seems to be working except in KDE3, the VMware Server Console wasn't added to the menus

Thanks for everyone's help!
Gene Poole

Glad you got it working!

--