Re: Automount of CD-ROMs no longer works

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:
After a manual mount, I have...

/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,nosuid,nodev,user=jmccarty)

My /etc/fstab entry looks like this:

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

[spaces removed for clarity of reading]

I wonder if this is different? It shows /dev/hdc mounted, not
/dev/cdrom.

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Aug 21 18:08 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc

Maybe I should look at the /dev/cdrom device when it's working.

You may want to run ls -l /dev/cdrom to see where it points to. If

Yes, that's what I did just up above. I guess you missed that.
Anyway, here's what it shows with the Memorex (which works)

$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Aug 21 19:02 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdd

The drive which isn't working the way I want is jumpered as
Master. The drive is on the end, however, so even if jumpered
as CS it would be Master. Well, I just pulled it, and it's
jumpered as Slave. That may well be the whole problem. Time
for another reboot and check.

this was the only device on the secondary IDE controller, and you
are not using cable select, then it is possible that the old drive
was jumpered as a slave drive, and the new on is jumpered as either
master or cable select. That would mess up the cdrom symlink.

Thanks for the idea!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.