Re: Slightly [OT] Network Monitoring/Alerting tools

Mark Haney wrote:

I second the recommendation for OpenNMS, but for the moment, don't try to run it on FC9 or 10 due to some java and postgresql version dependencies. It works nicely on CentOS and can be installed via yum from their 'unstable' repository. A neat trick for notification is to also install the Openfire xmpp (jabber) server and create a multiuser conference for alarms, then configure OpenNMS to send notifications there. Then when you are interested in seeing all of the notifications, just connect to the conference with any xmpp client. You can also configure OpenNMS to send specific alarms to email if you want.

We do run OpenNMS as well, and it's a good tool, but I was interested in something /like/ nagios that does monitoring and alerting.

I'm not sure I understand the distinction or why you'd need both. OpenNMS is like nagios in some ways, different in some.

--
 Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx