Re: OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Dean S. Messing <deanm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> I've never bought anything from the itunes store, but I use it daily, so
>> I can't complain.  Itunes will happily rip your own CD collection, (and
>> to mp3's if you like)
>
> But to Flac?  That's what I'm ripping to.

I've never had any occasion (or the disk space) to use flac, but a
quick google search says it can be taught to hand them:
http://www.simplehelp.net/2008/06/12/how-to-play-flac-files-in-itunes/

>> and add the track names and cover art for you
>> without charging extra.
>
> I suppose, then, that she can get the cover art with iTunes. I've
> spent all my hours ripping (and editing countless mistakes out of the
> ID3 tags that get pulled down from FreeDB).

>> Hmmm... It's hard to beat an ipod and itunes at what they do.
>
> They can't play Flac, and an iPod does not tocuh a Cowon A3 in
> audio quality (according to both the reviews and her ear.) and
> the wonderful number of format, both video and audio, it can handle.

I suspect that you are really comparing lossless flac to a highly
compressed mp3 in your listening tests (where a reasonably-sized aac
would be somewhere in between), but my ears aren't that great and the
places where I use a portable player aren't conducive to detecting
quality anyway so I'm not the best judge.   Also, note that the laptop
is a fine player itself.

>> If you get a network connection, you can use rsync -av to copy a whole
>> tree including the symlinks.
>
> This assumes I know how to set up networking on an Mac.

Macs are at their best when you give them a standard environment and
don't have to set anything up.

> I don't even know how to turn it on and I'll have no time
> to learn.  I have 48 hours in Chicago and it's the first day
> of school for Freshman.

If you know your way around the linux side, set up a DHCP server that
will hand out a single IP address, plug the 2 machines together and
ssh to that address from your laptop.  When that works, you can use
rsync to copy anything you want.   If you need to be root on the mac,
log in as the first user that was added or one with admin rights, then
'sudo su -' and type that user's password again.  You'll get a very
familiar shell environment  with a somewhat different filesystem
layout and a case-insensitive filesystem.

Or, if the school has anything resembling a normal network, plug both
machines into their network, run ifconfig in terminal windows to find
your IP addresses, and go from there - but if your laptop has a gig
nic the direct connect will be faster.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx