Re: PAN Failure -- Help

MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:24:57 -0500, Roger Heflin wrote:

MIKE - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
I am talking to you from my laptop (running F8 and pan-0.132-2.fc8)
because my desktop (running F7 and pan-0.131-1.fc7) suddenly stopped
working.  When I start pan (under KDE), its GUI flashes briefly and
then disappears.  Other things, including Firefox and Apache seem fine
so far.

Thanks for your help.
Mike.

If you have not already, open a terminal window and try starting it in
there and see if it will give your an error.

It puts its config files in ~/.pan2 and there are some things in there
that could be delete without it being and issue (cache) but others are a
bit more trouble if you delete them.

If you don't get an error I would try doing "mv ~/.pan2 ~/.pan2.bad" and
then start it again and see if it works, if this makes it work, there is
something in the .pan2 directory that disagrees with it.

   iv=ch               Roger

Thanks for this.

Starting from a command line results in the dump below. Can anything
be discerned from it?  (I deleted the long memory map, which I will
post if anyone thinks it would be useful.)
I renamed the .pan directory as suggested, and pan then works.
I guess if there is no better suggestion, I'll restore the
.pan directory and start moving out files, starting with the
latest modified (tomorrow at standard -0500).

Mike.

The error is not terribly useful, I doubt there is going to be a better suggestion than to try a few files at a time, though you may be able to run "strace -o pan.out -f pan" on the command line and see what was the last file being accessed by pan and guess which file is the troublemaker.

If you can isolate it down to a single file you might look at that file and see if it is obviously wrong.

Though, It may just be that something in the cache is odd and causing the crash.

                           Roger