Re: F9, F8 periodicially hanging upon user login, dbus zombie process, etc.

Hi all,

Still haven't been able to solve the F9 locking problem (email below), part of the delay being that I don't know what exactly triggers it (so can't easily test it, and have to wait some time (~ 1 day) before it falls into this lock-able state...).

But, in case it's of any help to anyone who's seen anything like this or has any thoughts about it, I notice that the problem seems to arise sometime after the ~ 4 AM cron tasks (cron.hourly, daily, etc.).  Here's what's in the hourly and daily (i.e., minimally at the frequency of occurrence of this problem):
cron.daily
cron.daily/mlocate.cron
cron.daily/0anacron
cron.daily/readahead.cron
cron.daily/makewhatis.cron
cron.daily/cups
cron.daily/certwatch
cron.daily/texlive.cron
cron.daily/logrotate
cron.daily/0logwatch
cron.daily/prelink
cron.daily/000-delay.cron
cron.daily/00webalizer
cron.daily/tmpwatch
cron.daily/rpm
cron.deny
cron.hourly
cron.hourly/drupal
cron.hourly/mcelog.cron
(Much of this is unnecessary (like drupal) for most of the workstations, but my approach in constructing a kickstart for these has been to create rather fat clients and then trim down to get the final kickstart config...)

Also, I just reproduced the problem for today:

1)  Actively logged-in to a GNOME session as root

2)  Navigate to the menu bar -> logout

3)  Screen freezes black, with the mouse pointer still active (and the blue elliptical "actively working" graphic circulating about the pointer)

Remotely log-in to the frozen machine via ssh, see the dbus-related zombie:
[root@struc12 etc]# ps waux |grep Z
USER       PID %CPU %MEM    VSZ   RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
gdm      28654  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        Zs   10:30   0:00 [dbus-launch] <defunct>

It seems to be a gdm thing, as I can switch to a terminal -- for example, ctrl-alt-F6 works.

...only remedy is to re-boot.

Any thoughts, advice, or tips on how to go about troubleshooting this would be greatly appreciated.

With best regards,
Cameron