[SOLVED] Re: setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))

Hi there,

Sorry, I've been offline for the last couple of days, and I'm still
catching up to the list.

>> The Gnome nm-applet works fine under KDE.
>
> So I tried that, specifically I did a:
>
> [bailey@homer:~]$ sudo yum install NetworkManager-gnome
>
> ...which pulled in 'gnome-panel' and 'gnome-panel-libs'. However, when
> I tried to start 'nm-applet', I got the following error:
>
> [bailey@homer:~]$ nm-applet
>
> ** (nm-applet:6268): WARNING **: <WARN>
> applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the
> NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
>  Message: 'Connection ":1.344" is not allowed to own the service
> "org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies
> in the configuration file'
>

> (nm-applet:6268): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
>
> ...same thing happened when I tried it as 'sudo' (also, when I
> restarted both 'network' and 'NetworkManager' services). Is this a
> dbus problem or some kind of PolicyKit thing?

It turned out this problem went away after rebooting (I discovered
this accidentally). I still don't know exactly what was going on w/
those error messages, I'm still thinking it's either dbus or
PolicyKit-related. Oh wells.

At any rate, let me just summarize:

Problem:
- with my then-current installation of KDE 4.1 (from 'updates-testing'
repository), I had no apparent way to configure a WPA wireless
connection (ie. no NetworkManager applet, only the
'system-config-network' app)
  - I'm guessing this occurred because I specifically removed the
'GNOME Desktop Environment' group

Solution:
- install the NetworkManager applet
  - this was accomplished by running:
    sudo yum install NetworkManager-gnome  # or if you don't use sudo:
 su -c 'yum NetworkManager-gnome'
- reboot after the packages have installed successfully

Thanks everyone who offered their help! You guys rock.

--Mike