Re: setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))

2008/8/9 Beartooth <Beartooth@xxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:37:15 +0930, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 15:14 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>>> At least on my laptop, running Fedora 9 with KDE, clicking the
>>> NetworkManager icon in the tray immediately shows me the available
>>> networks, just as in Fedora 8. I never need to manually specify an
>>> SSID. Easy and powerful.
>>
>> Likewise, here with 9 and using Gnome.  I wonder a couple of things:
>> Whether the original poster has tried both right clicking and left
>> clicking on the network manager icon.  And whether they're trying to use
>> access points that aren't broadcasting their SSID (which is a complete
>> waste of time).
>
>        I have to be missing something here. Why do the wireless settings
> on my router allow me a separate choice whether to broadcast SSID, if one
> that isn't doing it is useless??

It doesn't make the access point useless, but it unnecessarily complicates the
life of the users of the AP, and doesn't protect against malicious
users. When the
station sends anything, it can be detected anyway.

--
Joonas Sarajärvi
muepsj@xxxxxxxxx