Re: setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))

Beartooth wrote:
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 22:37:15 +0930, Tim wrote:

On Sat, 2008-08-09 at 15:14 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
At least on my laptop, running Fedora 9 with KDE, clicking the
NetworkManager icon in the tray immediately shows me the available
networks, just as in Fedora 8. I never need to manually specify an
SSID. Easy and powerful.
Likewise, here with 9 and using Gnome.  I wonder a couple of things:
Whether the original poster has tried both right clicking and left
clicking on the network manager icon.  And whether they're trying to use
access points that aren't broadcasting their SSID (which is a complete
waste of time).

I have to be missing something here. Why do the wireless settings on my router allow me a separate choice whether to broadcast SSID, if one that isn't doing it is useless??

I think you misunderstand what Tim is trying to say. To make a router not broadcast its SSID in the hopes of being more secure is a waste of time. It does *NOT* make your connection any more secure. Anyone sniffing for SSID broadcast packets won't see it, but, anyone sniffing for ALL packets will eventually see packets destined for your "hidden" SSID while your wireless is active. So to *not* broadcast your SSID is a waste of time. "iwlist scan" (amongst other tools, I'm sure) will find networks without an SSID being broadcast and print out their channel number and encryption details.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx