Re: dual-link monitors under f9?

Les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Do I understand that this will work with up to 4 30" monitors?  WOW.  AS
> someone who is loosing vision, this is great news.

One card will, at most, have 2 DVI connectors (each either single-link
or dual-link).  Dual-link just means that it has two sets of
data-wires for doubling the bandwidth.  4-Megapixel monitors need to
double up the data links in order to move all that data in the 1/60th
of a second a reasonable refresh takes.

> Any recommendations on video cards?

I don't like noisy miniature fans on my cards, so I opted for a slower
pcie card with a "mobile" Radeon HD 3450 chipset on it.  I got the MSI
R3450-TD256H version of it, although quite a few manufacturers make
cards based on this ATI chip.  These cards run around $50 mail order.

  http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=R3450-TD256H&class=vga

The Radeon 3450's have gotten quite a bit of press lately.  It looked
legit enough so I decided to give it a try.

I should have my MSI card on Monday so I'll be able to report back how
F9's Xorg gets along with it.  If it works, I'll pick up the 30"
Samsung 305T to go along with it.  At 30" and twice the pixel count I
now have, I don't think I'll lose too much sleep over not having a
dual, dual-link setup.  Normally I'm all for overkill, but getting two
of those monitors would be over-overkill. ;-)

One thing to watch out for is some manufacturers run the Radeon 3450
graphics chip harder than they should.  Companies like Saphire have
plenty of Google hits claiming that their Radeon 3450 card runs very
hot and eventually crashes the system.  MSI had only folks saying
their Radeon 3450 card ran cool to the touch.  That is really what
swayed me away from the dual-dvi Saphire card, even though having two
dvi's would have been nice.

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht			http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/