Re: permissions- still not an answer to my question

roland wrote, On 08/08/2008 06:58 AM:
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 12:42:45 +0200, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Most directories are very happy with 744 permissions. That would be mostly what you want since 644 could present problems. The only directory that I *know requires* a different permission is .ssh, where you'd need 700.

I did notice that you've convinced yourself that your problems are related to permissions and don't seem interested to explore other possibilities. AFAIK, you also didn't mention exactly *how* you moved the home directories.

I did not mean to give that impression, sorry.
I copied /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow
I copied /home with rsync
I hope this is an answer and I am still interested in whatever solution :-)

roland

three questions,
1) when you copied /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group, /etc/gshadow, did you use the'-p' option?
2) when you rsynced did you use --perms or --xattrs --acls ?
3) did you convince SELinux that these are user files?

--
Todd Denniston