Re: setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the reply.

>> I read here ( http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3462 ) that KDE 4.1's
>> getting a plasmoid front-end to NetworkManager (which doesn't seem to
>> be in 'updates-testing' yet).
>
> The Gnome nm-applet works fine under KDE.

So I tried that, specifically I did a:

[bailey@homer:~]$ sudo yum install NetworkManager-gnome

...which pulled in 'gnome-panel' and 'gnome-panel-libs'. However, when
I tried to start 'nm-applet', I got the following error:

[bailey@homer:~]$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:6268): WARNING **: <WARN>
applet_dbus_manager_start_service(): Could not acquire the
NetworkManagerUserSettings service.
  Message: 'Connection ":1.344" is not allowed to own the service
"org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerUserSettings" due to security policies
in the configuration file'

(nm-applet:6268): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion
`G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

...same thing happened when I tried it as 'sudo' (also, when I
restarted both 'network' and 'NetworkManager' services). Is this a
dbus problem or some kind of PolicyKit thing?

> The community wisdom around here is that you should choose between
> system-config-network and NM, but don't try to mix them as they don't
> get on, i.e. disable one or the other. On the whole NM seems better
> suited to wireless, though personally I use it with a wired connection
> and haven't had problems.

Gotcha, thanks for the heads-up.

> poc

--Mike