Re: Bind and reverse subdomains

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 07:37:26AM +0700, lin.kh@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I've been following this book of "DNS & BIND" by O'Reilly 5th edition and
> the BIND's Admin Reference Manual (ARM) that have been useful for my BIND
> setup. I only got stuck with this reverse sub-domain setup. The book says,
> there are 3 ways to achieve it. I could achieve it the other 2 ways. But
> i'd like to know the third way, which uses $GENERATE and CNAME that will
> make the configuration short and neat.
>
> It's ok; i'll stick the other 2 ways for now.
>
> Thanks for your reply, Ed.
>
> Regards,
>
> > Khemara Lyn wrote:

I think the original poster is confusing a couple of things.

	* bind
	* subnets
	* subdomains
	* private networks .vs. routable networks.

In your Bind admin reference manual look for discussions on
internal and external name servers.   No external facing name server
can give a good answer that contains a private network ( i.e. 192.168.0.0,
10.0.0.0 , etc.)  this just does not work.

Also when slicing and dicing private network numbers into subnets make sure
that there is no overlap.  If the primary server is responsible for the
entire class A (10.0.0.0) network funny things will happen on your sub{domain,nets}
as there is no clarity about the authority should you want sub{domains,networks}.

Routing is another issue where subnet masks need to be watched with care.
Is the intention to route or NAT traffic.

Is there a mix of Windows, Linux, DHCP, fixed IP addresses , PXE, NFS  involved.

Step one:
	do host names resolve correctly?
	does routing work... (ping)?

--