Re: Unable to compile kernel-2.6.19.2 on FC 9

Vishwas Dubey wrote:
Hi All,

I am trying to build and compile a new kernel. Currently, I have linux-2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686 installed on my machine, which I use to build and compile the new kernel for linux-2.6.19.2. I follow the standard procedure for building and compiling the kernel, but still I am unable to boot my machine from the new kernel. I get the following errors when I try to boot the machine from the new kernel:-

Uncompressing Linux... OK,  booting the kernel
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x2
ACPI: Getting cpuindex for acpiid 0x3
Red Hat nash version 6.0.52 starting
irq20: nobody cared (try booting with the "irqpoll" option)
handlers:
[<c127ae0f>] (usb-hcd-irq+0x0/0x56)
[<c127ae0f>] (usb-hcd-irq+0x0/0x56)
Disabling IRQ #20
stabilized: open /proc/scsi/scsi : no such file or directory
mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'
setuproot: moving /dev failed: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /proc: no such file or directory
setuproot: error mounting /sys: no such file or directory
mount failed for selinux on /selinux: no such file or directory
switch root: mount failed: no such file or directory

There are 3 possibilities.

#1: is you don't have the device driver needed for old kernel in the initrd.

#2: That device driver in 2.6.19 does not work at all for your hardware or does not exist for your hardware in 2.6.19.

#3: The old kernel won't work for your hardware at all because of other issues.

There are *NO* easy solutions if the problem is #2 or #3, and if your hardware has a newer chipset than existed when 2.6.19 was released then #2 or #3 are very possible.

If it is #1 you need to see what the original kernel loads to drive the disk subsystem and see if that is enabled, and installed in the initrd in 2.6.19, and any modules that it needs are there with it.

You might try some older recovery CD's, if you find one that works and it is a kernel from around 2.6.19 then you would be able to find the module names used in 2.6.19. I believe a number of the disk modules names have been changed around since 2.6.19 so very likely you don't have the proper module being included in the initrd.

                            Roger