Re: time/ntp[d]

---- "Björn Persson" <bjorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
> > > One other bit of info, if I turn off ntpd over night, the clock loses
> > > time (new battery required?)
>
> The various oscillators in a typical computer aren't high-precision clocks.
> Without NTP you'll have to adjust the time frequently.
>
> If you turn the computer off, and when you turn it on again it thinks it's the
> first of January 1990 or something, then you probably need to replace the
> battery.

IIRC the startup scripts for ntpd used to make a call to ntpupdate (not sure if this is excatly the correct command name) which would set the local clock to something close to (a couple of seconds) the correct time and ten ntp would slowly synchronize the time to within a couple of milliseconds. ntpupdate has been depreciated and now the -g flag to ntpd does the same job. As long as you have an internet connection your time shouldn't be too far off. If you lose the internet, you'll fall back to using your local clock and start to drift from the correct time.

Steve