Re: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !? -- [SOLVED by removing NetworkManager]

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 12:50 -0400, William Case wrote:
> Further events;
[...]
> I also tried the opposite just now. I.e turning off 'network' and
> turning on NetworkManager.  'network' services would not turn off.  From
> the services gui I got a SELinux warning (even in permissive mode)

In permissive mode SELinux will give you the warning but not act on it.

> from
> the command line I got
>
> ]# service network stop
> Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
> Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
>
> ]# service NetworkManager start
> Setting network parameters...                              [  OK  ]
> Starting NetworkManager daemon:                            [  OK  ]
> Waiting for network...                                     [FAILED]
>
> ]# service NetworkManager status
> NetworkManager (pid 4866) is running...
>
> All I get is an empty notification panel gui that shows up and says no
> network connection, when, in fact, everything is connected but offline.

What does "connected but offline" mean?

> ]# service network status
> Configured devices:
> lo eth0
> Currently active devices:
> lo eth0

Try "ifconfig eth0" to see if the interface is up.

> N.B.  Tried to man 'network' -- no manual entry.  Is there another name
> to 'man' by?

"man -k network" will give you a list of places to start looking.

poc