Re: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !? -- [SOLVED by removing NetworkManager]

Hi Kevin, Mikkel, Bruce et al;

NetWorkMangager was the culprit ...

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 01:59 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

> I just went back and looked, you have a wired ethernet setup.  Why are
> you using NetworkManager?  Have you tried disabling NetworkManager and
> starting up the "network" service in its place?

As you suggested, I turned off NetworkManger services.  After rebooting,
everything worked the way it should. No boot up warnings; browsers and
Evolution started online; all connections were made.

> (Unless you are somehow
> married to using NetworkManager....)  "sysconfig-config-network" can
> then be used to configure the ethernet card, even for DHCP from your
> router.

I am not married to NetworkManager but ...
It would be nice to have a simple tool for ordinary users to configure
their networks, large or small.

[snip]

>From various comments made on the list, and my recent experience
NetworkManager is not yet ready for prime time.  I was willing to spend
the time, and still am, to help sort out NetworkMangager problems for
small wired LANs.

My problem seems to have boiled down to this:

     1. As originally installed by Ananconda, NetworkManager worked, or
        at least did not interfere, with my household and Internet
        networking.
     2. When I tried to make changes manually, NetworkManager could not
        recognize those changes if correct, nor give appropriate
        meaningful  warnings if incorrect, nor reflect the state of
        things in any of its fields.  It just quit working and would not
        restart even after corrections had been made from the
        commandline.

Suggested Solution:
     1. The developers continue to work on NetworkManager so that it is
        robust enough to handle people messing about with its settings
        either from the command line or within the gui.
     2. Because networking is complex and confusing for users (I don't
        limit this comment to newbies) the error analysis should be
        meaningful.
     3. In fact, I think it is well within the capabilities of today's
        developers to build a robost network setup analysis tool.
     4. I would like to see two frontends for NetworkManager. One that
        is written in plain language with lots of 'Help' and tool tips
        and with the minimum of technospeak.  And, a second frontend
        that is for advanced users.  One of the advantages of FOSS is
        that you can write several different 'thingies' to be used by
        different types of users.  It doesn't have to be one size fits
        all like M$.

I was taking this opportunity to finally learn some stuff about
networking, so I don't begrudge the time.  In fact, that is what got me
in trouble in the first place, screwing around with my settings to see
what they would do.

Up until now I was content to let my networks be set up automagically.
If something goes wrong in Linux/Fedora it is tough to figure out how to
fix it.  In M$, it is almost impossible to follow.  To me this is an
area where we (Fedora, Linux and FOSS) could excel.

If anybody thinks all this to-do has been worth filing a bug against
NetworkManager. I will file.  If it has just been a self-induced problem
solved by shutting NetworkManager off, I'll leave things alone.  Let me
know.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3