Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

William Case wrote:
Hi Kevin et al;

It just got stranger;

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 00:07 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
William Case wrote:
Although my browsers don't work externally they did find
http://192.168.1.1 which gave me a setup page.  I didn't change anything
but here is the output:

LAN IP Address 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 DHCP Server Enabled Firewall Enabled INFORMATION System Time 2008/08/05 21:28:28 System Boot Up Time 00000 days 05:17:37 Connected Clients 3 Runtime Code Version V2.00.0042 Boot Code Version V2.00.32 LAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8C WAN MAC Address 00-40-F4-91-17-8D

On re-boot the script messages still show,  -- "setting NetworkManger
waiting for network - failed".  Then, "httpd: could not reliably
determine the servers fully qualified domain name using 127.0.0.1 for
server name."

The little NetworkManager gui in my notification panel shows a red
warning with an x and says "No network connection".

Epiphany and FireFox, along with Evolution, start offline.  Putting all
three back online gets them all working.  Here is the strange thing.
Previously when I put Epiphany and Firefox back online as soon as I
started them again they went off line immediately.  This time they
stayed on.  I loaded several fresh pages and everything continued to
work.

Something else to look at...  What does your network routing look like?
Do you have a proper default route? If not, you won't be able to get beyond your local subnet.

/sin/route

I'm guessing that if NetworkManager isn't doing it right, its not getting setup. If not, you could try:

/sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1

(I think that's the correct syntax....)

To answer Kevin.  Yes the bill is paid. I have one other machine running
Ubuntu with no problem and another on WindowsXP.

I was kidding!

I just shut down and cold rebooted to be sure before sending this post.
Every thing is still as above.

Check your network routing tables. If you don't tell the networking how to get there, it doesn't know.

A new wrinkle I didn't report, but now Evolution is asking for IP
account passwords each time I start it.  It had stopped doing that in
Fedora 9.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx