Re: Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
2008/8/1 bruce <bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
hi...

for my $0.02....

i would argue for getting a cheap ~$40 linksys G usb wireless dongle...

i have a laptop, amd x64, running fedora8, and after trying for a few days
to get the madwifi/atheros stuff working, i got the usb dongle, plugged it
in, and lo and behold.. up/running in a matter of 5 mins!!!

good luck...

I second that .. I just bought a Linkys WUSB54GC and it worked right
out of the box with Fedora9 x86_64.
It is using the rt73usb driver / module ... and the rtx drivers have
been included in main-line kernel 2.6.22(?) since about Jan 2008.

I was ordering this and started reading reviews, really doesn't get a lot of love from people who have it:
  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16833124187

I don't suppose anyone has tried the newer WUSB600N or WUSB300N, they both got decent reviews, support 802.11n (not a requirement), 256 bit encryption, and WPA2. The last could be an issue to connect at some customer sites. I'd love to have the features, the size of the 300N isn't an issue, and the price is less important than the reliability.

Most of the complaints are about signal, I'm spoiled, my old ACER laptop with ipw2200 and whatever firmware was around when FC4 was new will work at home from my office to the library, through a floor with 2x8 joists and three real (plaster and lathe) walls, and will hear two routers in the apartment house down the road and three in the college, at least 400' and two brick walls away. People who say they have problems through a sheetrock wall make me think the sensitivity is lacking.

Google finds many questions on these adaptors, and only minimal success using ndiswrapper, which is not a long term solution. Well, newegg has these WUSB54GC on sale, I'll take a chance on getting one and see if it holds up. Maybe someone else will get a driver for the fancy new devices in the meantime.

Thanks for the part number.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>