Re: Suggestions to change default background on F9

On Monday 04 August 2008 23:48, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> 2008/8/4 Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > I don't want to mess this up on my F9 install, so is there anyway to
> > change the background to what I consider to be the normal one I see on
> > Fedora installs (a mid blue one), and with a white panel with black text.
> > This is with KDE of course.
>
> Right-click the desktop, and select Desktop settings or something
> similar (My KDE is in Finnish)... You will get a dialog that lets you
> select the desktop background, among other things.
>

> --
> Joonas Sarajärvi
> muepsj@xxxxxxxxx

Hi Joonas. Thank you for the reply. Right clicking on the desktop, amongst
other things there is the menu item "Configure Desktop-Plasma Workspace". the
"Picture" box shows only a few different wallpapers/backgrounds, none of
which is the background I am looking for. There is a button "New Wallpaper",
but that seems to be for downloading new wallpaper from the Internet.

I've looked in /usr/share/backgrounds, and there are many more background
options there. The one that is default with KDE4 appears to be
waves-normal-3-night.png, and is really dark, which I suppose makes sense, as
it's nighttime.

Ahaah. Clicking on the icon to the right of the "Picture" box has got me a
window where I can access the filesystem.

I'm going for this now, and seeing if I can lighten up the desktop.
/usr/share/backgrounds/waves/waves-normal-0-morn.png.

Ok, after a bit of messing about, and not realising that my new selection had
been added to the wallpaper list in the "Pictures" box, I now have a lot
lighter desktop, and to be quite honest, it looks quite nice. A logout, and
login is still showing the new background, so, so far so good.

The next thing is to try and change the colour of the panel. At the moment it
is black, with white text. My eyes are not too good with this, and would
prefer a lighter panel, with black text. Right click on the panel gives
almost nothing to configure, only "Size", and "Location".

I may have to ask about that on the KDE list, unless you can offer any
suggestions to changing the colour of the panel/kicker.

Thanks a lot for your advice. At least I've now got a lighter background.

Nigel.