From: fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:fedora-list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of William Case
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 1:19 AM
To: Fedora List
Subject: Messed up my ISP/Networkmanager connection !?

Hi;

I have been delving into (messing around with) my network connections
and now I can't get Network Manger or my browsers to work.

This post attests to the fact that there is some physical connection to
my ISP cable connection and my eth0 is active; xchat and FM Radio on
Rhythmbox work.

On booting, NetworkManager is listed as 'failed' -- "setting
NetworkManger waiting for network - failed".  Then,

"httpd: could not reliably determine the servers fully qualified domain
name using 127.0.0.1 for server name."

]$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1A:92:E5:DC:47
          inet addr:192.168.1.3  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::21a:92ff:fee5:dc47/64 Scope:Link

I was screwing around, experimenting, with the system-control-network
gui -- incorrectly added stuff to the 'hosts' page and saved.  I got a
message to the effect 'we will save this stuff, but we are going to
disconnect you for badness".  I was duly disconnected.

I have removed the 'bad stuff' from /etc/hosts and saved.

hosts now reads :
127.0.0.1 CASE localhost.localdomain localhost
::1      localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

As it did when everything was working.

What am I missing? Where do I find it? Where is my DNS or whatever?
Why is there no help for the Network manager? Why is the 'Edit
Connections' on the Network Manager blank? And what does
NetworkManager Tool really mean?

]$ nm-tool

State: disconnected

- Device: eth0
  Type:              Wired
  Driver:            forcedeth
  State:             unmanaged
  HW Address:        00:00:00:00:00:00

  Capabilities:
    Supported:       yes
    Carrier Detect:  yes
    Speed:           100 Mb/s

  Wired Settings

How can I fill these in from the command line?

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.3