Re: Bind and reverse subdomains

Thanks Ed;  promise, there won't be a second time.

Just to make my question short, may i ask if anyone has got the delegation of a reverse sub-domain working? I would like to delegate a /26 or smaller ones (/27, /28 etc.) from a parent server (having a reverse zone of /24) to a child server.

Perhaps, someone could give me some pointers to how to use the directive $GENERATE and CNAME records in a reverse zone file for BIND.

With warm regards.

Ed Greshko wrote:
lin.kh@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks, will take it as good advice. And sorry to those who got confused
or offended with my post. While i was writing the message, i tried to
reproduce the scenario, which lead me to the mess :(. very sorry again.

I don't think anyone would be offended by your post. And I doubt anyone has a problem with your BIND question. The only issue is that people here are often willing to help and want to do their best.

So, to help enable people to do their very best you really should post the real thing. Even if you think you have reproduced the essence of the problem you may have inadvertently hidden a key fact.

Besides, people may ask you for the output of "dig" (for example) and you may find yourself doing more hiding and making the problem harder to solve than it has to be.

lin.kh@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Sorry all again:
I don't mean to flood my mails to the list but my previous post was a
little messed up as i cut and paste a lot trying not to show my real
domain.
Take a hint from Tom Eastep the author of "shorewall".

"As a general matter, please do not edit the diagnostic information in an attempt to conceal your IP address, netmask, nameserver addresses, domain
name, etc. These aren't secrets, and concealing them often misleads us
(and
80% of the time, a cracker could derive them anyway from information
contained in the SMTP headers of your post)."

Even if you've emailed using a different domain you may have muddied the
waters such that it would be difficult for people to really help you.

I, for one, spend little time obfuscated posts.

Now i'd like to send the whole thing again with corrections:

********

First, please bear with me; i know this is not the place to ask about
BIND; but i'm hoping that, someone out there could help me. Also, sorry
for the lengthy post but most of it is to explain my scenario. And I
believe, the answer to my question will be very short.

Basically, I tried to delegate a reverse sub-domain (a subnet smaller
than
/24). I could query a PTR record from the parent server but i could not
from the child server where all the configuration of the sub-domain
belongs.

Here is the detail:

I have my home network connected to my office network with a registered domain (office.net, for example) with the scenario below. On the Office
DNS server (ns1.office.net), I would like to delegate both the forward
sub-domain home.office.net and reverse one 192.168.9.32/28 to the Home
DNS
server (ns1.home.office.net).

My problem is that, on the Home server, i could not do this query:

$ host 192.168.9.33
Host 33.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

While from the Office server, i can:
$ host 192.168.9.33
33.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa is an alias for
33.32-39.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
33.32-39.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ns1.home.office.net.

What could be the cause of problem? I might miss a transition somewhere between the office parent zone and the home child zone. But i just don't
know. Everything else seems to work fine (the sub-domain forward zones
are
ok).

I've been following the book of O'Reilly "DNS & BIND", 5th edition,
which
is a great book i found; but the part on the reverse sub-domain is a bit
too tricky for me.

Could someone please help me out?

Here is the scenario:

Office Network:
===============
Domain: office.net (not real, used as example here only)
IP subnet : 192.168.9.0/24 (not real, used as example here only)
DNS Server: ns1.office.net (IP:192.168.9.1)

Home Network:
==============
Domain: home.office.net
IP Subnet : 192.168.9.32/28
DNS Server: ns1.home.office.net (IP:192.168.9.33)

On both of the DNS servers, i'm running BIND on Fedora 9.
The configuration files on the Office server (ns1.office.net) looks as
below:

1. /etc/resolv.conf

=== Beginning of file ===
search office.net
nameserver 192.168.9.1
nameserver 192.168.9.2
=== End of file ===

2. /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf
(I'm using bind-chroot here with ROOTDIR=/var/named/chroot set in
/etc/sysconfig/named)

=== Beginning of file ===
options {
        listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.9.1;};
//        listen-on-v6 port 53 { ::1; };
        directory       "/var/named";
        dump-file       "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";
        allow-query     { trusted;};
        recursion yes;
};

acl trusted {127.0.0.1; 192.168.9.0/24;};

include "/etc/named.rfc1912.zones";

zone "office.net" IN {
     type master;
     file "office.zone";
};

zone "9.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
     type master;
     file "9.168.192.zone";
};
=== End of file===

3. /var/named/chroot/var/named/office.zone

=== Beginning of file ===
$TTL 1D
@       IN SOA  ns1.office.net. root.office.net. (
                                        08080201        ; serial
                                        1D              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expire
                                        3H )            ; minimum
        NS      ns1.office.net.
        NS      ns2.office.net.
        MX      10      mail1.office.net.
        MX      20      mail2.office.net.
        A       192.168.9.12

ns1        IN      A       192.168.9.1
ns2        IN      A       192.168.9.2
mail1        IN      A       192.168.9.11
mail2        IN      A       192.168.9.12
www        IN        CNAME        mail2

;; Glue records for home.office.net
home                IN        NS        ns1.home
ns1.home        IN        A        192.168.9.33
=== End of file ===

4. /var/named/chroot/var/named/9.168.192.zone:

=== Beginning of file ===
$TTL 1D
@       IN SOA  ns1.office.net. root.office.net. (
                                        08080203        ; serial
                                        1D              ; refresh
                                        1H              ; retry
                                        1W              ; expire
                                        3H )            ; minimum
        NS      ns1.office.net.
        NS      ns2.office.net.

1       IN      PTR     ns1.office.net.
2       IN      PTR     ns2.office.net.
11      IN      PTR     mail1.office.net.
12      IN      PTR     mail2.office.net.

$GENERATE 33-39 $ CNAME $.32-39
32-39        IN      NS      ns1.home.office.net.
=== End of file ===

And finally, the configuration files on the Home server
(ns1.home.office.net) looks as below:

1. /etc/resolv.conf

#=== Beginning of file ===
search home.office.net
nameserver 192.168.9.33
#=== End of file ===

2. /var/named/chroot/etc/named.conf

//=== Beginning of file ===
options {
        listen-on port 53 { 127.0.0.1; 192.168.9.33;};
        listen-on-v6 port 53 { ::1; };
        directory       "/var/named";
        dump-file       "/var/named/data/cache_dump.db";
        statistics-file "/var/named/data/named_stats.txt";
        memstatistics-file "/var/named/data/named_mem_stats.txt";
        query-source    port 53;
        query-source-v6 port 53;
        allow-query     { localhost; 192.168.9.32/28;};
//      forward first;
//      forwarders {192.168.9.5;};
};

include "/etc/named.rfc1912.zones";

zone "home.office.net" IN {
        type master;
        file "home.zone";
};

zone "32-39.9.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
        type master;
        file "32-39.9.168.192.zone";
};
//=== End of file ===

3. /var/named/chroot/var/named/home.zone

;=== Beginning of file ===
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.home.office.net. root.home.office.net.  (
                                      08080501   ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      14400      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
        IN      NS      ns1.home.office.net.
        IN      MX      10      mail.home.office.net.

ns1    IN      A       192.168.9.33
mail   IN      A       192.168.9.35
;=== End of file ===

4. /var/named/chroot/var/named/32-39.9.168.192.zone

;=== Beginning of file ===
$TTL    86400
@       IN      SOA     ns1.home.office.net. root.home.office.net.  (
                                      08080203   ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      14400      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire
                                      86400 )    ; Minimum
        IN      NS      ns1.home.office.net.

33     IN      PTR     ns1.home.office.net.
35     IN      PTR     mail.home.office.net.
;=== End of file ===

Thanks in advance for any ideas?

Best,
Khem

--
I met my latest girl friend in a department store.  She was looking at
clothes, and I was putting Slinkys on the escalators.