Re: Wireless LAN cards for Fedora?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Actually, since this is all "noarch" stuff which doesn't depend on
> release, that's irrelevant, other than his needed to download it by
> hand.

I think it is quite relevant, especially for someone looking for
wireless firmware.  He'd be exposing a system that has not had any
security updates for over a year wirelessly.  That's not a wise idea
at all, and one that I think should be discouraged on this list.

> Since some hardware vendors haven't moved beyond FC6, a lot of
> people  need to stay with it. Ubuntu has a better idea here, to make
> a version  every once in a while a LTS version, to encourage vendors
> to support it.

The effort to support such a release is quite high.  I rather like
Todd Denniston's suggestion that RHEL/CentOS releases are comparable
to Ubuntu's LTS releases in many ways.

But for better or worse, Fedora releases are only supported for ~13
months.  And I think it's a disservice to encourage anyone to run them
on a network after they've been EOL'd.  (I say this as someone that
has some ancient RHL servers in production still.  But I assume all
the risks and effort required to keep them properly updated.)

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't
try.
    -- Beverly Sills