Re: Planned Obsolesce

Robert wrote, On 08/03/2008 11:04 PM:
Hello World,

As time allows, work is proceeding on moving to a new computer so that an older one can be taken down and recommissioned. This activity provides a rational for catching up on newsgroups. Usenet continues to be a good source of information.

A reply to a the posting in this group caused me to stop, step back, and consider a different respective. The reply pointed out that Fedora core 6 was supported until one month after the release of Fedora 8. With releases scheduled every 6 months, any release has a supported life of only 13 months. The phrase “planned obsolesce” comes to mind.

"Fedora is focused on ... software  innovations and moves quickly."
from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle

I probably run an operating system install longer than most. Of the machines at home and work that come to mind, one is running 5, two are at 6, one at 7, with the latest running 8. Due to several bad experiences, newer versions are installed only when the machine can be taken down and the disks reformatted. Running an older version is not the end of the world, but a 13 month support cycle seams a bit short.

The box running Fedora 8 originally received Fedora 9. It was for a project that needed to move forward. The state of KDE made that imposable and Fedora 8 was installed. That project is now over. I now realize that support will end one month after the release of 10, or in around 6 months.

I can see the value of time based releases for publicity and scheduling purposes. It may not be the best thing for those needing continued utility and stability.

exactly, for those "needing continued utility and stability", they need a distro that is concerned with long term support these are generally designated as 'Enterprise' editions such as RHEL and SLE[DS], or 'Long Term Support' for Ubuntu.
http://www.redhat.com/software/rhelorfedora/

2006-12-30 was certainly a sad day as the Fedora Legacy shut down, but with out the manpower, what was the point.

On a different note, my thanks goes out to those who have made open source work.

Have a good day,
Robert H.

http://fedoraforum.org/
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle