Re: Planned Obsolesce

On Monday 04 August 2008 04:04:29 Robert wrote:
> Hello World,
>
> As time allows, work is proceeding on moving to a new computer so that an
> older one can be taken down and recommissioned.  This activity provides a
> rational for catching up on newsgroups.  Usenet continues to be a good
> source of information.
>
> A reply to a the posting in this group caused me to stop, step back, and
> consider a different respective.  The reply pointed out that Fedora core
> 6 was supported until one month after the release of Fedora 8.  With
> releases scheduled every 6 months, any release has a supported life of
> only 13 months.  The phrase �planned obsolesce� comes to mind.
>
> I probably run an operating system install longer than most.  Of the
> machines at home and work that come to mind, one is running 5, two are at
> 6, one at 7, with the latest running 8.  Due to several bad experiences,
> newer versions are installed only when the machine can be taken down and
> the disks reformatted.  Running an older version is not the end of the
> world, but a 13 month support cycle seams a bit short.
>
> The box running Fedora 8 originally received Fedora 9.  It was for a
> project that needed to move forward.  The state of KDE made that
> imposable and Fedora 8 was installed.  That project is now over.  I now
> realize that support will end one month after the release of 10, or in
> around 6 months.
>
> I can see the value of time based releases for publicity and scheduling
> purposes.  It may not be the best thing for those needing continued
> utility and stability.
>
> On a different note, my thanks goes out to those who have made open
> source work.

Hi, Robert.  Fedora is not the best choice in your situation.  You would be
much happier with one of the Enterprise clones - CentOS, Scientific Linux,
and one or two others come to mind.  CentOS is now at 5.2, and is very like
Fedora Core 6.  It has a very long support cycle (about 5 years, IIRC).

You might like to try F10 when it comes out, on one less critical box.  KDE is
already fairly stable, but not yet complete.  There's going to be a learning
curve, though, even when it's complete.

HTH

Anne