Re: ssh / bind help?

Russell Miller wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Adding the trailing dot, for names, prevents the value of the 'search' field in /etc/resolve.com from being used. So
  host fubar.bazfaz.net
could resolve to fubar.bazfaz.net.your.domain, if your DNS has a wildcard MX record (like *.your.domain) would return a pointer to the mail server for any address in your domain. If you add a trailing dot that doesn't happen.

The value on an IP reverse lookup is unknown to me, there may be none.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that trailing dot will cause it to treat it as a forward and not a reverse lookup. Remember reverse lookups get translated to 4oc.3oc.2oc.1oc.in-addr.arpa.

You are absolutely correct, it looks as if the "host" command strips the dot (I get an answer), while the "dig" command sends a query to a root server for the name as a forward lookup and gets back a "NX-domain" (invalid domain name) response.

I still see no utility to this, there are no numeric TLDs and are unlikely to ever be any.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>