Re: subpixel LCD fonts smoothing

Well, so i have installed freetype-freeworld, i am attaching here screenshots with opened firefox - same page with Ubuntu , and same page with Fedora.
If i can make to look Fedora looking like that, that i will switch to ubuntu because "smooth and good looking fonts" are really important for me.

Well i know very good, that Ubuntu is using its optimized "cairo" , but this is not about fonts, this is about way how fonts are antialiased and smoothed! :((

Does that freetype-freeworld is also used for ubuntu fonts rendering? (or they use something speciall)

1) Fedora 9 screenshot here http://www.hlacik.eu/fedora.bmp
2) Ubuntu 8.04 screenshot here http://www.hlacik.eu/ubuntu.bmp

Thanks in advance!

David

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:58 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 22:16 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:
> whoa - i have just tried lastest ubuntu desktop to compare fonts
> smoothing, because i really hate sandy fonts on fedora 9 - and i have
> noticed that their subpixel fonts smoothing on LCDs is really
> wonderfull , like on windows vista.

Having used all three, I can't say I've noticed Ubuntu being wonderful.
They're all about the same as each other, depending on the fonts in use
(size and the typeface), and your graphics driver.  Web browsers add
another spanner in the works, as they often do their own font rendering.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.11-97.fc9.i686

Don't send private replies to my address, the mailbox is ignored.  I
read messages from the public lists.