Creating a local repository

I have two questions on this, or at least 1.5 since I have a workaround for one issue.

I turned on the flag in yum.conf to keep rpms in /var/cache/yum, so I could avoid beating repositories and networks doing upgrades after an install. I put them in a directory, burned a DVD, and I can mount it for upgrades, using "yum localupgrade /media/dvd/*.rpm" or similar.

However, I know that someday I will get the "command line too long" message, and decided to create a repository. And it looks as if the 'createrepo' utility is broken. I tried it on my normal machine for FC9, and then on 'vestial,' my virgin install which uses only the official and production RPMs, no 3rd party, no testing, no rawhide, this is as stable as Fedora gets.

Failed the same way there.

So question one: is createrepo broken in FC9?

Then I moved the RPMs to another machine, an old FC6 machine I need to use some drivers never updates past FC6. The createrepo there worked fine, now how do I use it? Is it best to export via HTTP, or FTP, or NFS mount, or ??? I don't find clear docs on doing this, and I'd like to get the capability while the "old way" still works.

I'm probably going to wind up doing this for CentOS-5.2 as well, just as a time saver.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>