Re: Problems with ralink (rt73) wireless USB connection

Colin Paul Adams wrote:
I've freshly installed Fedora 9 on the (32-bit) machine, and I
discover that rt73usb-firmware is already installed.

So I went into system-network-config and tried adding the wireless
configuration. It seems straight-forward, but when I try to activate
the connection (I had to deselect the NetworkManager checkbox to try
this - what is Network Manager?) it fails to find IP information.

NetworkManager is a wireless networking manager. It assumes that you might be using your computer in more than 1 location, which implies that you might routinely connect to more than 1 wireless network, therefore it tries to "manage" which wireless network you might connect to at any given time.

If you only intend to use your computer with a single wireless access point, you might want to consider using the network service instead. But, be warned, while network *can* connect to properly configured wireless connections, it was designed to manage primarily wired network connections.

I use network on my desktop/server, and I use NetworkManager on my laptop (where I now rarely use the ethernet cable) so when I travel, it makes connection to *other* wireless networks a little bit easier.

When I first got my laptop, it came with FC6 already installed on it. The first thing (OK, one of the first things) I did was try and use system-config-network to connect to my wireless connection in the house. Due to probably a number of different things (my playing with configuration files, ipw3945 drivers, wpa-supplicant, and possibly even a tug of war between network and NetworkManager) my wireless experience under FC6 was less than useful. Only after 6 months of software upgrades was I able to start to get reasonable connection rates on the wireless. However, all of that changed on F9 when I upgraded. My iwl3945 configuration works very well with NetworkManager (and network disabled). Its still not perfect, but its *much* better than it used to be.

I checked the SSID and WEP key information (and I have other laptops -
a MacBook Air and a Sony Windows XP machine) working on the router.

How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

Look at your log files. NetworkManager logs to /var/log/messages for me. There are also interesting messages about your hardware's drivers when your system boots as well. the output from "lsusb" can help others help you as well.

If your problem is that you've configured everything right, and its just the access point negotiation that fails, the logs from your router might contain useful information as well.

Thanks for all help.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx