Re: Upgrading to next version of Fedora

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:07 -0400, Dave Feustel wrote:
> But a quick, simple upgrade from F9 to F0 would be really nice.

>From past experience, upgrades are neither quick, nor simple.  They've
got to work out what files need upgrading, rather than just install a
preselected list of files, and that's slow in itself.  Installs and
upgrades have to work out dependencies, so that's slow either way (the
install list hasn't pre-selected all the dependencies, nor does it
bypass checking them during the install process).  Then there's the
manual sorting out of conflicts, afterwards.

It has been quicker and simpler to just install.  You can preserve prior
homespace data by not re-formatting during installs.  If your home is on
a separate partition, this is easy.  If it shares partitions with other
parts of the directory tree, the easiest solution is to rm -rfd the
*other* directories before installing.

Backups are always advised.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r