Re: Colour Cordination ??

William Case wrote:
Hi;

Does anybody know of a site, tutorial or a manual that explains how to
get all my colour formats and equipment synchronized?

I don't have any major problems that are urgent, but I would like to go
about learning how to get everything producing colours as close to the
same as possible.  I have googled and only found rudimentary info --
usually about printer test pages.  I have printer test pages for both
CUPS and hplip.  Wikipedia mentions "Color is a professional color
grading software application produced by Apple Inc. for their Mac OS X
operating system."

I would like to match the colours of the real world, my monitor, my
printer, my scanner and my internet browser as closely as possible.  I
expect they will never be exact.  I appreciate that it also depends on
the configuration of applications (such as OOo, Gimp and Inkscape) being
used.  But I am assuming, before I make adjustments in those I should
spend some time getting my equipment right first.

My questions are these:

      * What are the basic techniques for making fairly accurate across
device colour comparisons? * How to ascertain (guess) which device needs the adjustment? If
        I could adjust the real world, I would.
      * Is there a manual that explains in some depth the various colour
        codes that are used?  I have played with colour on an ad hoc
        basis so I am familiar with some of the basic codes, but I
        suspect there is a deeper rational than I have learnt.
      * Are there tools and specialized test pages that can help?

Remember, this not urgent.  It is something I am going to work away at;
but any help, tips or guidance could prevent me and others who are
interested from wasting time on misguided irrelevancies.
Google for "color calibration" and take a look at Norman Koren's site.
A photographer with a lot of good information on the subject, especially
monitor calibration:

http://www.normankoren.com/

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1B.html