Re: How to recover root password

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 19:34 -0400, Ricky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a root passwd which was so secure that even i cannot remember it
> now, lol!
>
> Can Someone help as to how i can recover it!!!!???
>

> Any suggestions???

Reboot the box, at the grub splash screen hit any key to halt the
countdown.  Choose the kernel you want to boot to using the arrow keys,
and once it is highlighted, hit "a" to append to the kernel line.  Once
you see something like:

grub append> ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

Just add the word "single" to the end so it looks like this:

grub append> ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet single

Hit enter and you will go to single user mode.  Once you are there,
type:

passwd

and hit enter.  Set root's new password, and type:

exit

You will boot up with a new root password.

--
Thomas