Re: Alpine prospects??

On Friday, Aug 1st 2008 at 16:13 -0000, quoth Beartooth:

=>
=>	As many here must know, U Washington laid off some large number
=>of the Pine/Alpine team last May. Now there is talk, in some places
=>online, of UW dropping all support for this superb software.
=>
=>	Given those opprobrious facts, it seems a legitimate topic for
=>this group to ask, "What of Alpine, then?"

As a user of alpine, a few questions pop up:

1. Where did you hear about this layoff? Is it being discussed anywhere?
2. I did not know that alpine was a funded project by paid employees, as
opposed to something that is developed by volunteers. If so, what was UW's
motivation to have paid for this?
3. What other mailers out there are viable stable replacement candidates
for what alpine offers. The features that are at the top of my list are:
	* The ability to bounce mail.
	* Roles
	* Instant editing of headers
	* The ability to pipe mail.
	* Selecting and zooming.
   If anything else out there supports these features then I'm all ears.
The text-based/gui-based part is less important.

And of course, if anyone wanted to pick alpine up themselves, that would
probably be nice too. :-)

steveo at syslang.net