Re: OT: What is fusebulk filesystem? ntpass fails to reset windows password :(

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Antonio Olivares
<olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all,
> A Lenovo Laptop running Windows Vista locked out the teacher who was issued the computer at school.  The teacher forgot the password.  I have successfully used the SystemRescue CD http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page  with the utitlity ntpass many times.  This time, it failed.  I also tried the cd from http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ which is the same.  The laptop locked the teacher out and he could not login.  I told them it was a snap and boy was I wrong.  The cd locates the users and apparently all looks good and when we reboot we try with a blank password and we cannot log on.  Trying other livecd's also gets us nowhere.  There apparently is some garbage on the C:\Windows\system\system32 directory that prevents the ntpasswd from doing its job.  When viewing the filesystem which should be NTFS, the programs accessing the drive report that the fs is fusebulk.  I have not heard about fusebulk filesystem.
> There has to be some sort of encryption on the drive to prevent the password blank from working.
> Does anyone have any other tools that can reset the password in such a case?
> Is the only solution to reformat and reinstall?
> All Comments/Suggestions welcome.
> TIA,
> Antonio

Late reply to this but I have a loosely related issue so I'll tell you
what I know.

Fuse is not a file system so much as a method/api that allows you to
treat other objects as a filesystem (including a real filesystem). Do
a google search and you'll see what I'm talking about. It allows you
to treat many file objects as file systems.

In your case it looks like one of the rescue disks is using FUSE to
mount the NTFS system with ntfs-3g driver instead of the older ntfs
driver, which from what I've read and experienced, is preferable.

Richard