Re: a long rebuttal to the Linux-is-the-engine fallacy

Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Well, the kernel's purpose is to load other, more sophisticated applications. Again, there's no magic in the Linux kernel. It's just a program, like all of the others.

I'd call fork() and exec() somewhat magic in this context, seeing as how no unix program but init could run without them. All those gnu-ish programs with the exception of grub and memtest86++ would still be waiting around for the hurd to start them if it weren't for linux.

I agree that grub is as essential as the Linux kernel according to my measuring stick (that is why I mentioned it in the first place), but it is eliminated from the contest on other grounds. And I hope we all agree that giving the name to a distro based on the bootloader is plain silly.

No more than naming an operating system after its kernel. I'm not aware of any other operating system which is referred to by a name which is clearly the name of its kernel and nothing else.

Unix/opensolaris/freebsd/openbsd??? What other operating system combines its name with a political movement?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx