Re: that old GNU/Linux argument

Björn Persson wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

For other discussions, being more specific will actually make the discussion harder.

I don't see how using terms that are too generic would make discussing easier. If you mean using terms that are more specific than intended, then that's of course not optimal.

It may of course be that some people find it harder to use the appropriate terminology because they then have to actually think about what they mean, but once they do that I'm sure they'll find that the discussion works much better.

What I was thinking of is a discussion of things that apply to all Linux distributions, where using a specific distribution gives the impression that what you are talking about is distribution specific. This is especially true when the discussion is between users of two different distributions.

Mikkel