Re: Fedora 9 and VMWare Server

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 00:36 -0400, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sun July 20 2008, Alex Katebi wrote:
> > http://open-vm-tools.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > Install the vmware tools first. Then go to the above web site and download
> > & install the open-vm-tools. Let me know if you have any peoblems. I have
> > installed two Fedora 9 vmware tools this way. Forget the any any stuff you
> > don't need that.
>
> I found that website, but, it wasn't so self-evident. How does one 'install
> the vmware tools first' as you state? I normally open a vm after I've got
> vmware server running, and it boots up and gives me a message about needing to
> install or update vmware tools, and that's when I install vmware tools. How
> are you doing that first - or better, I should ask, what do you mean by first?
> First before what? Before installing the vmware package?
>
> Are you simply installing the open-vm-tools from the tarball?
>
> What advantage are you gaining by doing things that way? My vm's run just fine
> the way I'm doing it now - what improvement should I expect by learning the
> method you suggest?

In reality, you will learn very little.

I don't understand why this is, but a lot of folks seem to confuse
running a F9 Virtual Machine in an existing VMware Server setup with
installing and running VMware Server itself on F9 so that you can then
run *other* VMs.

There's nothing that the OpenSource VMware tools is going to do for you
if you're trying to do the second as opposed to the first.

VMware Server 1.0.6 with the latest vmware-any-any patch is known to
work on F9. VMware Server 2.0 RC1 has major issues on F9 - as yet, I
have only heard of one person on the VMware community forums claiming to
having it running, and that person has so far refused to share how he
did it. That leads me to think he's more likely a troll than someone
who's actually made it happen.

Again, if there is anyone who has figured out the appropriate "magic
incantation" for getting VMware Server 2.0 RC1 up and running on F9,
lots of us here would like to know about it. Do share - I'm certain
people will reply with their thanks.

Cheers,

Chris