Anders Karlsson wrote:
Just so that I understand this right.

Any license which will permit being replaced by the GPL, when the
software it covers is combined with software under the GPL - is
compatible with the GPL?
Anyone except the copyright holder cannot replace the terms of the
license. If I developed software and licensed it using any of the
licenses compatible with the GPL, that original software stays under the
license I released forever. Software Freedom Law Center published a
paper describing the effect of combining BSD and GPL license if you are
interested in the details
http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/gpl-non-gpl-collaboration.html

Note that the specific details maybe dependent on the copyright laws of your region too.
Rahul