Re: Script to create desktop icons?

Arch Willingham wrote:
Is there a way to write a script to create desktop icons? Right now,
I have to manually create desktop icons that "launchers" script
files, executables, etc. I'd love to be able to do that with a script
file. The same holds true for icons that you can put on the top bar
in Gnome via right clicking on a menu item and picking "Add this
launcher to the  panel".
desktop-file-utils-0.15-1.fc9.i386

eg from an rpm spec:

desktop-file-install --vendor fedora \
    --dir %{buildroot}%{_datadir}/applications %{SOURCE2}

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Desktop_files

nautilus shows a .desktop file with the icon that it mentions, and doesn't show the actual extension.
gedit one to see an example
they can be copied where you want eg desktop

DaveT.