Re: Why is Fedora not a Free GNU/Linux distributions?

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
How is it that Fedora is not on this list?
http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html#FreeGNULinuxDistributions

gNewsSense just recently came around and they are on the list. What's
up with that?

Personally, I think the demand by Stallman, and others to call Linux 'GNU/Linux' is just stupid and childish. As if changing the name will change the nature of the system. While I am an advocate of free and open source software, and agree with some of his ideas, Stallman needs a bloody valium. To me he's a lot like Jack Thompson, foams at the mouth over the silliest things.

I know this has nothing to do with said thread particularly, I just wanted to vent my spleen on this. While said list is great, it doesn't really tell the whole story. Until we get comparable open source equivalents that become mainstream, there will be a need for adding proprietary 'non free' bits to a system. It's all a matter of what can you live with.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support