Re: How to change order of services

Andrea wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

When you turned on wpa_supplicant with chkconfig, it creates symbolic links in the various rc.d directories which begin with either S or K (start or kill) and the numbers (priorities). Just changing the file in /etc/init.d doesn't change these links. You have to use chkconfig to turn them off or delete them, and then add them back again to get the new links. *OR* you could change the file by hand, and then change all of the links names to contain the new numbers by hand. One is easier than the other. You decide which.

This is the content of rc3.d

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 24 2008-07-10 21:56 S09wpa_supplicant -> ../init.d/wpa_supplicant
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 17 2008-07-10 21:56 S10network -> ../init.d/network

which is correct. Exactly what I want.
I think this has been generated by "ntsysv" when I deselected and reselected wpa_supplicant. But the next time I do "yum update" for some reason wpa_supplicant will go back to its original position.

It's like there are 2 ways of configuring those services and they might not be synchronized.

I noticed when I upgraded to F9 (from FC6) that most of the support for what used to be in /etc/inittab is no longer supported and a new mechanism is in use. Its supposed to be more flexible, but it may not have all of its bugs smoothed out yet with its interactions with chkconfig. I may be grasping at straws here, but I'm looking for an explanation for your problem. I haven't tried to do what you are doing in a while (ie, the last time I tried, I was still running FC6).

I've noticed that in each file, after the info for chkconfig there is a "new" section:

I hadn't noticed.  I haven't looked recently, either.

for "network":

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: $network
# Should-Start: iptables ip6tables
### END INIT INFO

for "wpa_supplicant":

### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: wpa_supplicant
# Required-Start: $local_fs messagebus
# Required-Stop: $local_fs messagebus
# Default-Start:
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: start and stop wpa_supplicant
### END INIT INFO

I will try to add wpa_supplicant to "Required-Start" of the network.

By all means, let us know how it turns out!

Andrea

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx