Re: Periodic Fedora 9 system hangs with jumpy mouse

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Thomas Kappelmueller
<tkappelmueller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I completely solved this problem by doing this:
> "yum install xorg-x11-drv-radeonhd"

I can't use the radeonhd driver because it doesn't support or
detect my card.  The radeonhd only detects R5xx/R6xx based
cards, so radeonhd is not an alternative for the radeon driver
unless you happen to have a card which is in the overlap
of the supported list.

Reading the man page for radeonhd(4), it says that the
driver doesn't yet support 2-D acceleration!  So I suspect
that may have more to do with its apparent stability for you
than it being a different driver.  As so far it seems that all
the hanging problems we've seen appear to have something
to do with 2-D acceleration.

Strangely, I had been using the original radeon driver
(without disabling any features) for about 2 weeks and it
has not hung on me like it used to do frequently.  I had
started X via startx command, and not run level 5.
(Incidentally, startx seems to work fine except it doesn't pick
up any customized key mappings.  I for instance set my
caps lock to be ctrl.  Starting via gdm uses my settings, but
via startx does not... any ideas?)

However I finally rebooted today (into run level 5) and then
Xorg hung within 5 minutes...I wasn't even using the mouse,
I just had a single terminal window open that was tail'ing
a log file (and hence was scrolling text on its own).

There were a lot of X and Gnome related RPM updates
pushed today for Fedora 9; so I installed them all and will
see if that makes any difference.

--
Deron Meranda