Re: How to install from tar.gz2

2008/7/5 Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx>:
--- On Sat, 7/5/08, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: How to install from tar.gz2
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Saturday, July 5, 2008, 8:01 AM
> Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question
> regarding tar.bz2
> files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear
> answer. How
> to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...
> --
> Luis Orlindo Tedeschi <luis.tedeschi@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> --

>From tar.gz2, I do not know or have enough experience with it, but the previous

filename.tar.bz2, it is not that hard.

1) extract the archive with
$ tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2

2) change to the directory and read the files README,INSTALL,...,

$ ./configure
$ make
$ su -c 'make install'
password:

Usually it is like that, it will depend on the archive.  With *.tar.gz, the process is similar only that the file is extracted with

$ tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz

HTH,

Antonio

Also sometimes tar archives have inside shell script files (like install.sh or upgrade.sh)
You may extract folder from archive, go in it (cd command) and run this script (./install.sh)