Fedora 9 X dual monitor problem

I recently "upgraded" my laptop from Fedora 8 to Fedora 9. As always, I backed up the old system and started from reformatted drives. I never upgrade my OS in place. This is on my Dell Latitude D820 with a 15.4 inch 1680x1050 screen, using the proprietary Nvidia driver. I've had quite a few problems with F9. I don't know how much of my pain is coming from KDE4 being fresh out of the oven, and how much of it is F9 itself.

When I was running F8, I was able to sucessfully hook up the external video port to my Sony Bravia TV's PC port. It does 1380x768. This is essential functionality for me, so I can watch MythTV on the TV while using my internal screen for email/web/etc. I used separate Xs, not TwinView or Xinerama (I experimented with those, but windows would launch on the TV when it wasn't hooked up, so I couldn't get to them). And all was right in the world

After I loaded F9, I'm not able to get the TV to display anything. I see a crosshatch pattern over the screen, and if I move the mouse to that screen, I see the cursor, but I can't right click or left click. I even tried the exact xorg.conf from F8, and that didn't work either. Instead of the crosshatch pattern, the TV was just black.

I have a complete writeup, with links to the config and log files at:
http://www.thekramers.net/tmp/xproblem/

Someone suggested that X wasn't starting on that screen (:1), and to try to start it separately, but that didn't work.
[david@lexa ~]$ export DISPLAY=:1
[david@lexa ~]$ echo $DISPLAY
:1
[david@lexa ~]$ kwin
kwin: FATAL ERROR while trying to open display :1
[david@lexa ~]$ metacity
Window manager error: Unable to open X display :1
[david@lexa ~]$

    * Config file two screens, worked in F8, but not F9
    * Log file (from F9), two screens, worked in F8 but not in F9
    * Log file, single screen, works
    * Config file, single screen, works
    * Log file, two screens, broken
    * Config file, two screens, broken

Some other related problems I'm having:

* nvidia-settings puts an entry in xorg.conf for RgbPath, and X fails to start, claiming it's invalid. I have to remove that line every time I rerun nvidia-settings. * It says it can't load the module type1, but I can't see any packages (using yum or yumex) having to do with type1 fonts that isn't installed. * It looks like glx is loading when you look at some parts of the log files, and that it isn't in others. How can I tell for sure, and how can I fix it if it isn't loading? * The fonts applications and KDE use seem very inconsistent. I have Firefox and Thunderbird to use font sized 10 and 12 for most things, but sometimes they will show text using a font that looks like it's at least 20, and sometimes emails appear in a font too small to easily read, and in light grey. I have it set to view in plain text and quoted lines in black in the same font. I know that sounds like a Thunderbird problem, but since I'm having font troubles in general, I'm not sure. Also not sure if it's related to the type1 module problem above.

Thanks.