Re: F8 and a GPS -

Gene Heskett wrote:

My old Garmin 12 (yeah, it has gray hair) has a very dumb serial interface, so I have to use an adapter to make it usb.

And there are no intermittent connection problems?

Maybe Prolific has quietly fixed that bug in later issues. Mine are 5 or 6 years old, one I got from the shack, and another I got from Wallies a year or so later. Both of them have been problems. I tried to use one to connect to a ups, but every time it dropped the connection, the ups monitor initiated a shut down about a second later. Several times a day. That, and glancing over at the roadnav screen while in western Iowa, and noted it showing me in downtown Indianapolis IN for 30 seconds just got to be too much. I moved one of them to the heyu circuit, that gave heyu a tummy ache & it would segfault & die. I asked Charles on the heyu list & he said I wasn't the only one having trouble with pl2303's, and he was telling folks to go get the FTDI devices as they seemed to Just Work(TM), and they have, very well, as have the Atmel silicon in a pair of extension cables I use.

By intermittent connection problems, do you mean that it would drop characters? One problem I have run into is where the flow control lines are not implemented. If the hardware and/or application are set up to use hardware flow control, this can cause data loss. I don't know if this is the case here.

Mikkel